Sunday, October 2, 2011

Veggie pot pie


Pot pie is one of Ocean's favorite meals, since she was 4 ( she will be 15 next month!). I made this last night using Pillsbury biscuits for the crust. I only used 4 biscuits for the tops of the pies, I baked up the rest and we used those to dip! I originally wanted to find some puff pastry, but I couldn't find any that was vegan. 

Although not all Pillsbury products are vegan, I was happy to find something that was. You have to read the ingredients cause it tends to change in different countries. 

Veggie Pot Pie

2 tbsp earth balance butter
1 onion- small diced
3-4 carrots- peeled and small diced
3 stalks celery- small diced
1 tsp summer savory
2 bay leafs
3 cups veggie stock
2 medium potatoes- peeled and small diced
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 cup broccoli florets
2 tbsp tamari
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water

1 package Country Pillsbury Biscuits

In a large saute pan, heat butter, add onion and cook until soft.
Add carrot, celery, savory, and bay leafs. Saute for 3-4 minutes
Pour in veggie stock Add the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch.
Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are soft. 
Add the cornstarch to thicken. Season to taste.
Scoop into individual ramekins. Roll out the biscuits to fit the top.
Place on a baking sheet and bake at 375 until golden. 12-15 minutes.





8 comments:

  1. Ocean is such a beautiful name and she has good taste - that pie looks AWESOME.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the perfect Fall meal. I love your little red baking dishes. I also like the idea of baking the extra biscuits for dipping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially since I can never seem to find a good vegan pot pie recipe w/o meat substitutes or mushrooms! You're awesome!

    And I agree w/ Jeni Treehugger - Ocean is a gorgeous name!

    PS I hope you don't mind if I link to your post for my Monday's Vegan MoFo Round Up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeni...thank you :) I had a friend growing up with an older sister, she was in her twenties and we were 7. She was one of those super interesting people, and her name was ocean. It stuck with me through out my life and I named my first daughter after her.

    Nikki...I just got those little red ramekins! Thanks

    jd...I try to limit our fake meat substitute, we eat a lot of beans! Mushrooms, you either love'm or hate'm...leeluu hates them! Haha so I try not to put them in.
    Thanks for visiting my site and linking mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration! Weird that you can't find vegan puff pastry I seem to only find it. I wish I knew a brand name to share with you. Regardless your pot pie looks perfect. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pillsbury makes vegan biscuits?! I have to go check next time I'm in a supermarket. In any case, those pot pies look amazing. I must make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria...You suck! Only being able to find vegan puff pastry! That is just ridonkulous :P

    Joyfulgirl...I don't know if the US has the same products as Canada...I tried to look for it on-line but I couldn't find the same ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! I don't think I've ever made a veggie pot pie but I really want to. I also reaaaallly want cute little ramekins like those.

    ReplyDelete