Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sugar cookies


This is an exciting month for vegan food bloggers everywhere because its VEGAN MOFO! I am super stoked to find a bunch of new blogs to read and recipes try out, along with the old timers. I don't have a theme because I am not that organized.  Just going to wing it and post as much as possible. I am having a baby in two weeks so hopefully everything goes well and I am able to post about my experience in raising a vegan family.

Leeluu has been bugging me to make some pumpkin cookies after she found the cookie cutter in the drawer. I could of eaten them without the icing... the cookies sorta taste like shortbreads. There is a basic sugar cookie recipe floating around, so I made it without the tofutti cream cheese. I just cut back on the flour a bit, so that the dough wouldn't be too dry.

1 cup earth balance butter
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg replacements
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, add vanilla and egg replacement. Continue beating until mixed up.
Mix flour, powder and salt together in a bowl. Add it to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time. Mix until cookie dough is formed. Place dough on floured counter top, form into a big ball, cut in half and press into patties.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or so. Roll onto floured surface, cut out shapes. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.


For the icing.

Mix up 1 cup of icing sugar with 2-4 tbsp almond milk. Stir it up until it is smooth. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla, and a 1/2 tsp of almond extract. I used an orange gel food coloring, a very small amount goes along way! Dip a toothpick or the end of a sharp knife and run it through the icing mixture. Stir that up. Spoon onto cookies. The stem is a chocolate chip!



4 comments:

  1. these are super cute! i'm looking forward to your posts this month - you are super committed, given that you're only 2 weeks away from another little one in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! They reminded me of The Great Pumpkin from Charlie Brown

    ReplyDelete